Happy Tax Day Eve! To help get you through this yearly hassle we are adding some incredible new coffees. First up is Guatemala Finca La Florencia 100% Bourbon a wonderfully balanced Bourbon lot with tangerine brightness and malty caramel. Brazil Cup of Excellence Fazenda Sertaozinho is another amazing winner with nutty tones, hints of honey with a dense mouthfeel and Meyer lemon finish. Brazil Joao de Campos WP Decaf is a very special lot of decaf that you may recognize from our regular green coffee offerings, expect nice pungency, spice, dark chocolate, and versatility for use in espresso blends. Kenya Nyeri Kiamabara Peaberry is like the greatest hits of Kenya coffees from last season all rolled into one lot, concentrated flavors of orange marmalade, apricot jam, black currant, and peach hints. Finally, Espresso Workshop #10 Espresso Profundo brings the intensity with fruit-laced chocolate and interesting pineapple/citrus notes at lighter roast levels, this is one workshop blend that can handle a bit darker roast which brings out dark berry and Sharffen Berger chocolate...
Sweet Maria's Weblog
Our Carlos Imbachi coffee (Finca Buenavista, San Augustin, Huila) just won the SCAA Coffee of the Year, AGAIN! I am pretty excited... as you can tell. Here are the results:
- Overall Point Leader - Score 90.5 Country: Colombia Region: San Agustin, Huila Farm Name: Buenavista
- Best of Origin - Score 87.375 Country: El Salvador Region: Apaneca/Ilamatapeq Mountain Range Farm Name: El Recuerdo
- Best of Origin - Score 89.625 Country: Guatemala Region: Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepequez Farm Name: Puerta Verde
- Best of Origin - Score 87.563 Country: USA/Hawaii Region: Ka'u Farm Name: The Rising Sun
- Best of Origin - Score 89.313 Country: Honduras Region: Mogola / Marcala / La Paz Farm Name: La Isabela
- Best of Origin - Score 89.222 Country: Kenya Region: Nyeri Farm Name: Gichathaini
- Best of Origin - Score 85.558 Country: Nicaragua Region: Mozonte/Nueva Segovia Farm Name: Un Regalo de Dios
- Best of Origin - Score 89.125 Country: Panama Region: Boquete Farm Name: Hacienda La Esmeralda
- Best of Origin - Score 89.2 Country: Perú Region: Puno Farm Name: Tunk
Late last week we launched a new shopping cart for Sweet Maria's. The cart has a lot of new features, both on the front end that customers see, and the back end that we work with everyday. It is the future! And it is good! The cart is just a few days old, so if you encounter errors or other weird things, let us know, so we can fix them. The new cart will require existing customers to re-create their log in since we were not able to able to transfer that information. When you create a log in, you will be able to check the status of your orders, retrieve tracking numbers, view your order history, save items to a wish list, store multiple ship to addresses, and more. We have a new server set up too that will give us better speed, reliability and security. So it is worth it! We will continue to slightly tweak the appearance of the cart as we go forward, and add various features that seem worth while.
Another poor quality brewing video, with a few good tips. The only revelation here is to use the new Bonmac "pointy tip style" filters with the Chemex. The are made for the Hario type brewer and are a little short in the Chemex, but they leave much less "paper taste" in the cup. -Tom Sorry the video bleeds over the edge on the right. It's the smallest I can make, for some reason. Best to click on the video, go to youtube/sweetmarias and watch in HD.